Mary and her pet tumbleweed

Mary and her pet tumbleweed
My Pet Tumbleweed

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Idyllwild With Karen

Karen and I have been best-of-friends since 2003 and living 150 miles away from her has been a challenge for me.  We have emailed each other just about every day for nearly 9 years now.  We have had loads of fun outdoor adventures together and I can honestly say that some of my best times have been spent with Karen.  In fact, I have certainly laughed my hardest in her company during times when we were being ultra-goofy together.  When I left San Diego to move to Joshua Tree in 2010, I knew I would be giving up something very special.  Luckily when you move away from a close friend, the distance doesn't really separate you. 

Recently we made plans to meet in Idyllwild to hike together since it's kind of "in the middle" in terms of driving distance.  Besides, we knew we could end our day of hiking with a late lunch at Arriba's!  They have THE best grilled fish tacos on the planet.

Idyllwild had plenty of snow, but we ended up not needing our snowshoes since the trail to Saddle Junction had been blazed.  I used my Yaktraks and Karen put on her step-in crampons for the trip back down the trail.  Otherwise on the way up the trail we hiked only in our hiking boots.





No comments:

Post a Comment